Prior to Training
Self-paced Implementation Kickoff
Your implementation specialist will provide you with access to the ILLiad Implementation Kickoff self-paced activity where you will learn how get the most out of your ILLiad online training. The presentation will last approximately 25 minutes. ILL managers, ILL staff, and IT personnel responsible for maintaining ILLiad should all review this informative session.
Prior to scheduling training, please verify with you Customer Service Agent that you have completed the necessary implementation activities required for a successful training session, including the Setup Wizards. A tutorial about completing the Setup Wizards will be provided for review. You are also required to complete a readiness test with your Customer Service Agent prior to the Introduction and Lending Training (more details below).
Atlas Video Training Library
As part of your training package, you have access to the Atlas Video Training Library for one year, beginning upon receipt of your contract.The library includes access to an archive of workshops, tutorials and conference sessions. You will receive information on setting up your training account after Atlas receives your contract information from OCLC. Be sure to complete the registration process to have access to materials that will enhance your training experience.
All new ILLiad licensees are provided with introductory training on client navigation, lending processing and borrowing processing.
Training Room Set - Up
Lending and borrowing training are conducted in an online environment. If you will have more than one staff member attending training, we recommend that you secure a room with projector and computer with ILLiad installed as well as a speaker phone for audio. (Please note: Computer speakers with microphone or cell phones are NOT recommended for audio.) You will also want to have the following available.
- Printer available--in training room or nearby
- Scanner available--in training room or nearby
Please make sure that the following tasks have been completed PRIOR to Lending training. Questions about these tasks should be directed to the Atlas Customer Service agent assigned to your site. He or she will able answer your questions and help you to troubleshoot any problems. Please plan to schedule your training sessions 30 days in advance in order to allow for trainer calendars and your own implementation activities.
Major implementation tasks need to be completed for a successful training event (see details below).
- ILLiad server installed
- Client software installed on machine to be used for training
- SQL Alias Manager configured
- Client connecting to ILLiad database
- Staff Manager installed
- Customization Manger installed
- Cataloging searching enabled
- Z39.50 or Addon for catalog
- Addon for electronic resources such as A-Z lists of periodicals
Please make sure that the following tasks have been completed PRIOR to Borrowing training. These are not required for training but will be important services to have available when you go live and you want to have your training as close to your "go-live" date as possible.
- Patron Authentication: You should make progress on your patron authentication method. This can be the most time-consuming part of implementation as it often requires coordination with your primary IT staff.
- OpenURL Configuration: OpenURL configuration should only be enabled when you are ready for your patrons to be sending requests via ILLiad. Be sure to contact to coordinate with your electronic resources staff to enable this function.
- Web Page Edits: ILLiad comes with a set of working web pages for your patrons to submit their ILLiad requests. These can be customized to harmonize with your library's branding as well as modified to reflect the needs of your patron community. Basic edits are included in your implementation package. Borrowing training will include a review of what edits are available, but you are encouraged to begin work on that ahead of time.
Questions about these tasks should be directed to the Atlas Customer Service agent assigned to your site. He or she will able answer your questions and help you to troubleshoot any problems. Please plan to schedule your training sessions 30 days in advance in order to allow for trainer calendars and your own implementation activities.
The day before training, verify that the following key is set in the Customization Manager. Log in and select System > OCLC > ConnectionManagerActiveBorrowing and change this to Yes and click the Save button at the top of the screen.
Scheduling Your Training
Contact your Customer Service Agent when you have completed local setup tasks to request training dates. A Training and Library Solutions Consultant will work with you on scheduling your sessions. Please plan to schedule your training sessions 30 days in advance in order to allow for trainer calendars and your own implementation activities. Major implementation tasks need to be completed for a successful training event.
Training Readiness Test
To ensure a successful training experience, your Customer Service Agent will conduct a test session prior to your first training session to insure that the desktop sharing software and the ILLiad system on your training machine are functioning properly. Test sessions are usually scheduled on a day or two prior to your training date. It is helpful to have the ILL supervisor and a representative from your IT staff present to address any issues that may arise. Please note that you will need to have installed and tested the ILLiad client as well as the desktop sharing software on the training machine prior to the test. You can test your ILLiad client using the Keys to a Successful Online Training handout. Information about the desktop sharing software is below.
Using Desktop Sharing Software
Your Customer Service Agent will determine the software to be used during your training–Microsoft Lync or GoToMeeting.